Saturday 30 January 2021

2021dance365: January Reflections

I can't believe I am doing this again. I have to say, even though it was daunting to start a new dance 365 project, I have really been enjoying myself. I haven't yet felt burdened by the daily dances, videos, and posting. I am happy to get a chance to do this challenge again and start right on January first. 

Why did I start this again? First of all it, it had been on my mind. I like the idea of having dance memories from Jeju. It was on my mind and one of my students from back home asked me to join him. He had started it the last time but didn't finish and wanted to do it this year. Andy started this one and I am glad he did. I am happy to be on this dance journey with him. I love waking up and seeing his dance videos. He is grown and evolved so much. I miss my little Frank Hurt fam. Andy isn't even at Frank Hurt anymore.. but you know.. that is where I will always remember him. I will miss that studio and that special vibe that was in that place. It was magical. (It wasn't always magical but it had more magical moments than not.) 

Things I am doing different this time around are: 

  • I am not going to miss a day or take breaks. I started on the January first and I will end on December 31st. That will be a party for sure. 

  • Task Tuesdays are themed by Sydney's 12 Months, 12 Dances. 

  • Freestyle Fridays every Friday and I try to practice my breaking on these days.

  • Learn It: These are instructional dance videos for my students. I will have a collection of short choreos from doing these. 

  • I have invited all my students to give me ideas, songs, and inspirations. I make sure I share that that dance was inspired by them at the beginning and end of the video. 

Overall, I want to make time to dance each day. I want to make memories of Jeju. I want to have dances that showcase the island, my school, my students where possible, and my new colleagues. I want this collection of memories to look back on. I also hope to inspire more students to dance. I wish I could stay here longer and get more boys dancing, but I look forward to my new adventures ahead.